Friday, July 18, 2014

The Future of Probation

pro·ba·tion-
the release of an offender from detention, subject to a period of good behavior under supervision.
pro·ba·tion of·fi·cer-
a person appointed to supervise offenders who are on probation.


I felt the need to post the definitions of probation and probation officers because I don’t think those definitions do those terms justice. While yes, probation is the release of an offender who gets placed under supervision I think it is missing a key part. If I were to define probation it would be, when an offender is placed under the care of a supervisor to be helped and taught life changing skills. For the definition of a probation officer mine would be, a person who supervises and helps offenders who are on probation try and change their lives. My definitions might be very different from others, but they make all the difference in the world as to why I want this to be my profession



In this role my first and foremost job is to help the people I come in contact with better their lives and make a change. If I can help people get back on their feet, deter them from committing future crimes and teach them skills that they can use throughout their lives I have truly done my job. While not every person I come in contact with may want to make that change, there are those that really want to better their lives. 



I titled this blog post The Future of Probation because I see myself as part of the change this system needs. After learning so much from TCRIM 375 I plan to take this knowledge and help the men in the probation system. I have a better understanding for the motives and reasons behind the way that some men are and I have a better understanding of what I can do break those barriers.
  
Finally, thanks to all those who read and commented on my blog. Your thoughts and comments did not go to waste, I appreciate every single one of them. Thank you! :)

1 comment:

  1. Marissa,

    I like that your very motivated to create a change in someone’s life, not a lot of people can do that; it reminds me about how passionate I am about enforcing restorative justice through victim advocacy and offender programs. In your post, I like how you put the definitions; they are very broad yet very undescriptive. Probation officers are supposed to fulfil one simple duty of supervising offenders but POs actually need to help so much more. Offenders need the guidance to succeed and make it in society. Like you said, not all people will want to get help but for those who do will need all the help they can get. Good luck to creating transformation, we need more people like you who feel motivated to create change.

    Elsa

    ReplyDelete